Thursday, February 25, 2016

Glorification of the Saints - Painting


"Glorification of the Saints" by Valerie Horner  2/25/2016
Acrylic on canvas paper  12" X 16" matted.
I'm on a bit of a medievalist kick lately. I noticed that one of the motifs representing the glory of God, The Holy Spirit, or the presence of God in Medieval art is a cloud with cherubim around the border and light coming out of the cloud.  Some people have claimed that these painted clouds are actually representative of UFO's (which they are not!) I've also been reading N.T. Wright Surprised By Hope, John Piper's article about Athanasius of Alexandria, and listening to Dr Michael Heiser's podcast in which they are all discussing the glorification of the saints, so instead of putting the Virgin Mary under the "UFO" cloud like many Medieval painting, I put glorified saints or the believing church of God in Christ Jesus.


....





This cloud/angel motif is even found in an a cave in
China. It is very old.
So it was too much of a fun challenge for me to pass up!

I get a kick out of this painting below. It appears that the artist was much more impressed with the architecture at the time than the miracle of the annunciation.

My next piece I'm working on is - Guess what?
Yep - the annunciation.
Once again I apologize for the poor photo
quality of my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment