Tuesday, April 14, 2015

When Don't the Highly Educated Believe in Evolution: the Bible Believers Effect. - News Link

When Don't the Highly Educated Believe in Evolution? the Bible Believers Effect: Among Those Who Believe the Bible Is the Word of God, Those with More Formal Education Are Less Likely to Believe in Human Evolution Than Those with Less Education | 

I knew I wasn't the only one.
A Jewish atheist friend of mine was trying to talk me into going to a Unity or Unitarian church (I don't remember which - I just knew either one was not for me.) a few years ago telling me there were so many smart and educated people who attended. I realized later that she assumed most of the people I went to church with were uneducated buffoons who had somehow bamboozled me.  In fact, in the bible believing churches I have been a part of, people come from many backgrounds. However many of my fellow worshipers are teachers, college instructors, nurses, doctors, successful business people and others with advanced degrees. And guess what, we believe that God created the heavens and the earth and most of us believe it only took six days (he rested on the seventh).

The Skeptical Inquirer article examines why the higher the educational attainment, the less likely Christians believe in evolution and global warming.*  They scratch their heads a bit and attribute the results of this survey came because educated Christians are over confident and have a heightened need for intellectual consistency.  I would guess that most Creationist Christian have probably studied in depth the claims for evolution more than their non-believing counterparts.

*General Social Survey










No comments:

Post a Comment